General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is Europe’s framework for data protection laws which came into force on 25th May 2018. Even though the UK is no longer a member of the European Union, the GDPR will remain in force in the UK for the foreseeable future.
These regulations affect businesses, public sector organisations and schools and control how they handle the personal information of their customers, or in schools it’s parents, students and staff.
What are your rights
- Right to be informed – all schools must be transparent in how they are using personal data.
- Right of access – you have the right to access and receive a copy of your personal data, commonly referred to as a subject access request.
- Right of rectification – you have the right to request that we rectify any incorrect or incomplete personal data.
- Right to erasure – often referred to as the right to be forgotten, in certain circumstances individuals can request their personal data is erased.
- Right to restrict processing – in certain circumstances you have the right to request the restriction or suppression of your personal data.
- Right to object – in some circumstances, individuals are entitled to object to their personal data being used.
- Right to data portability – allows individuals to receive their personal data in a commonly used format and have it transferred to another school without hindrance. Where we have been required to ask for your consent to use the data that we hold on your child, you have the right to withdraw that consent
How is school data used?
The following documents outline important information for staff, students, parents and other stakeholders relating to how we use the personal data we collect. Our Data Protection Policy can be found here.
- The Stonehenge School Pupils and Parents Privacy Notice 2023 Oct 2023.docx
- The Stonehenge School Student Privacy Notice 2023 Oct 2023.docx
- The Stonehenge School Governors Privacy Notice 2023
- The Stonehenge School Private Hirers Privacy Notice 2023 Oct 2023
- The Stonehenge School Visitor Privacy Notice 2023
The DPO is responsible for dealing with data protection issues within the school should you wish to discuss any issues or concerns that you have about data protection. The school has appointed One West as its DPO, and they can be contacted by email at:
Telephone: 01225 395959
One West (Bath and North East Somerset Council