Health & Social Care
Health & Social Care KS4
BTEC First in Health and Social Care is a practical, work-related course.
It is ideal for students who are interested in a career in the caring sector.
Students who complete this course often go on to complete Level 3 courses and to become nurses, care workers, midwifes and other careers.
Students doing this course learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. The course requires learners with good attendance who are prepared to work in groups.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Health and Social Care has been developed to provide an engaging introduction to the sector for learners aged 14 years and above. It has been designed primarily for young people aged 14 to 19 who may wish to explore a vocational route throughout Key Stage 4, but it is also suitable for other learners who want a vocationally focused introduction to this area of study. It has been developed to:
● give students the opportunity to gain a broad understanding and knowledge of the health and social care sector
● give students a more focused understanding of health and social care through the selection of optional specialist units
● give students the opportunity to develop a range of personal skills and techniques, through the selection of units that are essential for successful performance in working life
● give opportunities for students to achieve a nationally recognised level 1/level 2 health and social care qualification
● support progression into a more specialised level 3 vocational or academic course or into an apprenticeship.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award:
● is a level 2 qualification; however, it is graded at Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction*, Level 1 and Unclassified
● is for learners aged 14 years and over
● is a 120 guided-learning-hour qualification (equivalent in teaching time to one GCSE)
● has core units and optional units
● has 25 per cent of the qualification that is externally assessed. Edexcel sets and marks these assessments
● presents knowledge in a work-related context
For a breakdown of the course units that we deliver at the school, please click on this link. Alternatively, if you need any further assistance with regards to the course contact Mr Protheroe.
“Students are punctual, are quick to settle in their lessons and show very positive attitudes to learning”.